Friday, January 27, 2017

AHPC Entry 3-

As a change of pace this week I started work on Mithridates VI light troops and cavalry.  The grind of painting large blocks of pike was starting to get to me.  I still have at least one more pike unit to go, which I hope to complete this weekend.  I will be glad to get these done and move on.

Speaking of hold your nose and paint it style units,  I finished up 24 Greek bow this week.   I am not sure why but I have never enjoyed painting bow units.  I guess its weird but I always feel like they are just filler for an army.   (speaking of weirdness I also hate painting shoes)

While in the picture they are ranked up I plan to used them as 2-12 figure skirmish units.  All the bow are Wargames Foundry, collected during my misspent youth. 

I took the photography advice offered last week and went with a solid back drop and lots of light.  I think I may have too much light as it appears to have some glare on the pictures.  Sorry about that.  .

Heres a close up of the boys.

I was also able to finish one unit of 12 Greek style cavalry.   The figures are Wargames Foundry's Macedonian Companion's but I shortened the Xyston a bit so they look a little more generic .   Mithridates VI had large quantities of high quality cavalry. I plan for a least a couple units of Greek style heavy cavalry with some Persian or Armenian style cavalry to give it more of an eastern look.

Here's a close up

and like all good runway models they turn with attitude to give you the view from the rear.

24 foot at 5 points each is 120 points.  12 cavalry at 10 points each is also 120 points.  For a total of 240 points.  I will not admit to using a calculator in that story problem!

Monday, January 9, 2017

Analog Hobbies Painting Challenge- Second Entry

In continuation of my last challenge post the pike production continues.   I neglected to mention some vital details last go around. The figures are Wargames Foundry for the most part.  These guys have been sitting on my shelf for years and years.  I think it was partly intimidation and partly laziness that kept me from getting to them until now.  I think a combination of Simon Millers work Thebigredbatcave and the excitement of the painting challenge is what pushed me to start working on these guys.

The great thing about building a pike block, as some of you mentioned, is this will give me the core of multiple successor style armies. While Mithridates VI used pike only in the early part of his conflict with Rome, I wouldn't have felt right not building some Pontic pike.

This week I was able to finish two more blocks of pike, bringing total production to 5.   I love the look of massed pike but the repetitive nature is starting to wear on me.

To mix things up, I changed the formula a bit.   Most of my earlier pike were predominantly white.  I am pretty happy with the way this group in black worked out


This weeks second group in red didn't turn out as well as I would like.  The Foundry shields in many cases have a cast-on shield design.  Red design over the white shield came out a little sloppy.  But done is done.

The original plan called for a third unit this week but I was distracted by the Armor challenge and cut off painting on the last block of pike to knock out my Armor entry.

And of course the obligatory class picture.   Once I get all six done I will post the full group.   The photography part of the challenge has become a challenge in itself.   I really love the pictures you guys post of your figures.  I am still struggling to get the right level of detail, lighting and composition. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for taking a look. Check my math but 64-28mm figures at 5 points each should be 320 points.

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Analog Hobbies First Submission

Hello all.  This is my first post for this years Painting Challenge.  This was such a great experience for me last year I am back for another go around.   This year I am planning on painting the core of two armies.   I am doing Mithridatic Ponts and Caesarian era Romans.  

I decided to start with the Ponts.  They are a mixed bag of Macedonian style successors with a strong Asiatic and Persian influence.  My first entry is part of the pike block I am building for the 1st Mithridatic war.  Like most successor style armies the Ponts were centered around the pike block. These guys are fun to paint but the big 32 figure units tend to wear the fun pretty thin.

Since the start of the challenge I have been able to finish three pike units.   I had some issues with deciding how to base them but settled on a semi-arid looking theme.  At least I hope its semi-arid looking . 

The last 10 days was very educational for me.   I learned that is a huge pain in the rear to paint pike when the pike is already glued in the hands of the figure. There is an obscene amount of "travel time" when moving from one figure to another. 

I also learned that whoever came up with the idea of using steel rods to simulate pike is equal parts genius and sadist. Those dang things are really sharp but very durable.

By my count 3 units of 32 figures is 96 28mm figures which I believe is 480 points. I hope to finish the last three units in the next week or so.  

Here's the class photo. The pikeman on the far right was not very attractive so the photographer partially excluded him.